Taking good pictures and video is essential to creating good content for your website, eCommerce store or social media. In this episode, we will dive into how to create great looking (and sounding) content, without having to be a professional.
1. Use a good Camera. If you want to invest you can get a great DSLR for video and pics for under $500, however, don’t underestimate the power of your smartphone, it can take amazing pictures. ( we do both!)
2. Use good lighting. You can purchase lighting from Amazon or used on Ebay. Some directional lighting. avoid heavy shadows or TOO much light. (also phone / camera has light / exposure settings)
3. Use a tripod – Your hand’s aren’t as still as you think they are, use a tripod it will help. also can get a mini tripod for a phone for under $20
4. Consider the background – generally white or light color background is preferred. Ironed sheet, big white paper. also consider scenes …. park, beach, wood table, trees, people
5. Clean everything. The product, clean camera lens, lint brush garments
6. Take test shots – upload them to a computer too so you can see them BIG… not just on little camera/phone screen.
7. Watch out for bad audio – sometimes you don’t realize audio is bad till you are all done. make sure room doesn’t echo a lot, make sure people aren’t talking in the background, get a directional mic if using a camera
8. Use post-production – if you don’t have experience editing photos may be a good idea to hire someone to help you clean up pics, lighting, noise, etc.
9. Editing software – Gimp/Pshop for images, Camtasia/iMovie for video
When to take pics/video:
New blanks or product offerings
Events you’re doing
Images/videos of customer jobs during and after
Changes to your store/equipment